Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Be the change you want to see in the world.

I've been doing a lot of  thinking lately... about who I am, and who I'd like to be.  What could I be doing better.... what should I be doing less of... etc.  I'm in my mid thirties and I should really get going on all of that.  The title of this post is a Ghandi quote, and one I've been giving much thought to.

Another version of this phrase is: "If you want to change the world, start with yourself."

One of the many things I'm taking from this is that instead of  focusing on fixing a problem head-on (as we do), it is better to start by focusing on how we react to said problem.  We have no control over other people's opinions, beliefs, greed, motivations.... any more than we can control the weather.  We do have control over how we react though.  Our own actions are the only thing we really do have control over.  And, just like our own actions can play a part in future weather patterns (industrialization, pollution, etc...), our reactions to problems should have some factor in what happens next in society.

Maybe?  

Just random thought.  



Now I have to go shovel 20 cm of wet snow (now ice, as it's -16° C) that mother nature dropped on us overnight.  Guess what my reaction is to that!

2 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. There is so much we cannot control, let's all place our energy to greater use.

    Did you get creative with your shoveling?? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not... to tired for creativity after the driveway was done. However, the snowbank I created doing so is big enough to carve a life-size set of Jabba's palace from Jedi... Let's see how energetic I am on my next day off.

      Delete